If you are anything like me, you eat healthier when the recipe is fast, simple, and allows for a lot of variation.
Here is my favorite base mix: a non-spicy fresh salsa recipe made with herbs and feta cheese. This salsa is great on crackers, with tuna, on toasted bread drizzled with olive oil for an Italian crostini, or with my fave go-to: pita chips. No rules save all ingredients should be fresh for maximum flavor; no measurements as salsa is made to taste. My nine year old loves this and eats with no complaints (Score!) Experiment and see what works for you.
Herb and Feta Salsa
- Ripe cherry or grape tomatoes, any variety
- Crumbled feta cheese, regular or reduced-fat
- Any fresh garden herb (can be dried.) I recommend basil, rosemerry, thyme, oregano, or sage
- Olive oil
- Splash of lemon juice
- Cracked pepper
- Slice tomatoes into small pieces. Add to bowl.
- Add crumbled feta to taste.
- Chop fresh herb of choice into tiny pieces or crumble dry herb of choice; add to tomatoes and feta.
- Drizzle with olive oil.
- Add splash of lemon juice or squeeze juice of 1 small lemon.
- Add cracked pepper. Mix. Done.
♥ Tip: Finely chop several fresh spinach leaves and add to mix for a healthy vitamin boost!